Waterford 5K RR


Waterford 5K:
I hate 5Ks, let's start with that.  I've run many and 70% of them had me having asthma attacks.  So why in the world do I go to run to the park on Wednesday and a fellow member of the group (Pepe, it's your fault) tells me about this evening race and I go home and register?  WTF?

Since I registered and I hate 5Ks and I don't think they are fun, I decided to give it a good PR effort.  So, I found my most bright clothes (red, of course), my lightest shoes (Ronins) and decided to go all out and see what I could do.

Since I was off yesterday afternoon, I took advantage of that by relaxing, eating, and resting a lot.  At 5pm I left the house and proceeded to spend 1 hour in rush hour traffic to drive the 6 miles to the starting line.  By the time I got there, the cops had closed the entrance to the area and I had to park a mile away.  Ran a mile to pick my packet (almost didn't make it), then ran another mile to the car to leave my stuff and continue on with my warmup.

While warming up I noticed that it was windy (15mph) and that no matter where I turn, I always had a headwind (twister winds, for those that do not know).  I hoped this would not be the race course, but passing the Mile 3 marker while warming up made me realize I was an idiot for thinking that, LOL.

As we wait to start, I hear a guy saying he does this every year and today was super windy, compared to other times.  I was again like, fuck, great!

And we start!  This is basically a corporate run, so I lined myself as close to the start as I could to prevent any weaving.  I did pretty well at the start.  From the start, the miles felt harder.  I was running by HR like last time, but this time I wanted to push my HR to 180 to see whether I could (last 5K I did my PR at 173bpms).  Anything above 180 usually means asthma attack, so I was watching for any sudden spikes.

Here are my splits.  I think I was pretty consistent throughout.
Mile 1: 7:59
Mile 2: 8:00
Mile 3: 8:05
Mile 0.17: 7:30mm
Time: 25:19 (22 seconds off my PR)

The wind was brutal from the get go.  No matter where we turn, it felt that we were pushing through a wall.  I grabbed a couple of cups of water during the race and threw them over my head.  By Mile 2 I wanted to puke.  Mile 3 was the most brutal.  I could not run faster than 8:20 because the wind near the lake was bad.  I was able to push at the end to finish that mile at 8:05 but I knew my chances of a PR were gone.  I pushed to the end but after passing my PR time, I slowed down a bit and finished.

After the race, I grabbed water, an apple, and went to check the results.  I was 4th in my AG out of 70.  There were 1500 runners and I finished 147.  Although disappointed at first, after analyzing the race, the wind, and the technical course (curves and turns all over), I think I did well.

Unfortunately, third in my AG beat me by 4 seconds.

There are no photos of the event yet, but this is what I wore.  I'm sure I was bright enough for the cameras to get me.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Car Accident and Surgery is Needed...

Chicago Marathon RR

The Star Wars Dark Side Challenge (10K & HM) RR: A Wedding, Friends, and Some Running in Between