Marathon Training Starts with a Bang: 18th Annual Weston July 4th Celebration 5K Race


Today, I ran the Weston Hometown July 4th Celebration 5K, in Weston, FL.  This was a small race with only 1134 finishers (small for us).  Weston always organize good races and the town came to see us off.

Edited to add: I came in 257th overall, and 9th in my AG out of 69.

I was hoping for a PR based upon my last 10K PR and how the training had been going.  I really did not train but did a couple of speedwork sessions in preparation for it.  I was debating whether to do 7:58 (McMillan) or 8mm.  I ended up pretty close to 8mm.

Finished in 24:57 and came in 9th in my AG (I show up now as 7th with a time of 24:02 but I know that is wrong, so they must correct it).  The race was a certified course.  It was not that hot (81F) but super humid (82%).  I was soaked during the warmup.

I ran well and pretty much on an even pace (8:03, 8:02, 8:03, 0:49).  I felt strong throughout, except I got a sidestitch at mile 2.76.

Overall, pretty good for my last race of the season.  Thanks for reading.

Marathon training started today!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheers to the New Year 5K

Damaris' NYCM (FE and Race Report)

10K at Fort Ben/Gobblers Jog 5K - Dealing with a Weird Injury and the London Marathon